Before entering please read the rules below carefully as well as the special rules at each section. Please ensure that participants and the their parents take note of these rules. Compliance with the rules is essential for the smooth running of the Eisteddfod. Breaking these rules could lead to disqualification.
|Participation in the Pretoria Eisteddfod is at own risk. The SASMT and/or the organizers of the Eisteddfod are not responsible for any loss, damage or injury during appraisal or any prize-giving event.|
All correspondence should be addressed to:
The Program Manager at email@example.com
1. All schools, organisations and individuals who wish to enter for the Pretoria Eisteddfod must affiliate annually.
2. Affiliation is done electronically . After successful affiliation an invoice will be created. Please use this invoice number as reference when making a payment. Entry forms will be activated once the affiliation fee has been received.
1. Online entries only are accepted. Please follow the guidelines on the website.
2. Please state the name and contact details of the teacher on the entry form (not the affiliate). This information is needed to communicate with the teacher directly when needed.
3. All the solo items of a candidate in the same section can be entered on one form. Please use the Solo Entry Form. For Ensembles and Groups, use the applicable forms. Please don't submit an entry form twice. If you have to change an item and the entry is still unpaid, simply edit the existing form and re-generate the invoice.
4. Please note the closing date. No late entries will be accepted. Unpaid entries will be cancelled after the closing date.
5. Certificates are printed according to the information supplied on the entry form. Please ensure that the spelling of the name and surname is correct. Certificates that need to be re-printed will attract a printing fee of R30.00 per certificate. Proof of payment and the corrected information must be sent to the office with the request to re-print.
6. Information regarding the item must be supplied in the space directly below the item, e.g. the duration of the item, composer/author, etc.
7. Any other information regarding the candidate for the attention of the convenor must be entered in the Additional Information-box on the entry form, e.g. Candidate also participates in English Drama, etc.
PLEASE NOTE: EXTRA-MURAL ACTIVITIES ARE NOT CONSIDERED WHEN COMPILING A PROGRAM.
PLEASE CHECK THE DATES OF THE SPECIFIC SECTION BEFORE ENTERING.
8. The age of the candidate as on 1 January is determinative.
9. No transfer of entries between candidates is allowed.
10. Candidates are not allowed to change an item once the program has been finalised. Should an item be changed after the certificate has been printed, it will be considered as a new entry and the applicable entry fee will be payable.
11. Only learners from a specific establishment may enter under the affiliation of that establishment.
12. Candidates from studios must be entered by their studio OR school – not both.
13. Candidates may enter only one item per category, e.g. KJ 10 Classical 6/0.
14. A candidate may not present the same work in more than one category of the same section.
15. No candidate may present the same work for two consecutive years.
16. Prescribed works may not be presented as "own choice".
17. All the names of participants in an Ensemble must be stated on the ensemble entry form (use the "add another candidate" facility).
18. Group Entries: Please use the Group Entry Form and state the name of the group clearly. If participants in a group wish to receive individual certificates, please enter the names underneath the name of the group (comma separated, no spaces).
1. Please refer to the dates of a specific section before you submit your entries. No changes are allowed after the program has been finalised. Special requests should be directed to the organiser of the section well in advance.
2. As from 1 July 2022, all participation will preferably be live. The option to participate online was only added as a safe alternative during the Covid pandemic. A candidate will only be allowed to change to online participation after the program for live participation has been finalized, if a medical certificate can be supplied or if a participant does not reside in the Pretoria area.
3. Participant slips will be made available on the website at least 10 days prior to the start of the section. It is the responsibility of the affiliated person/teacher to enquire at the office should the slips not be visible on the website.
4. Please check the information on the participant slips and contact the office as soon as possible in case of any mistakes.
5. A candidate will only be considered for an award if he/she participated during the scheduled time on the program or at least on the same day. This exception will only be allowed in special circumstances.
6. A candidate (and accompanist) must be available at least 15 minutes before the time of participation. Candidates that arrive late may forfeit their right to perform.
7. For all instrumental and vocal items as well as specific drama items, the information regarding the composition/script to be performed should be supplied on the participant slip. Please refer to the syllabus.
8. Withdrawals must be reported to the organiser at least 48 hours before the scheduled time.
9. Any participant at the Eisteddfod can be invited to perform at a Prize Winners concert.
1. The adjudicator’s decision is final and no discussion or correspondence on the issue will be allowed.
2. Candidates/family members/teachers are not allowed to communicate with the adjudicator in any way before, during or directly after adjudication.
3. Problems must be discussed with the organiser before the start of a session. No problems will be discussed at the table.
4. Certificates are only handed out after the adjudicator has delivered the commentary.
5. Only a symbol is awarded as follows:
90% to 100% - Gold: A++
85% to 89% - Gold: A+
80% to 84% - Gold: A
75% to 79% - Silver: B+
70% to 74% - Silver: B
60% to 69% - Bronze: C
• The A++ symbol is a very special award. It is only awarded in exceptional cases to a participant whose performance is technically well-rounded,
convincingly integrated and the degree of difficulty is in accordance with the development stage and age of the candidate. It is also important that all
the requirements of the syllabus have been met in such a case.
- The following criteria apply to an item winner award:
- An item is e.g. KJ 10 Classical u/6
- There must be at least 2 entries for the item and the participant must receive an A+ or A++ symbol.
- In the case of only one participant in an item the adjudicator has the option to make and award when the performance of the candidate is of
exceptional high standard.
- Only one item winner per item will be awarded. If there are two or more participants with the same mark, the adjudicator takes the final
decision. (Category winners are mostly trophy winners).
- The minimum requirement for an award is A+ symbol.
1. Choice of dress for performers is optional during adjudication. For the Prize Winners concert, dress is smart and neat.
1. The adjudicator’s decision is this regard is final. A category winner is not necessarily a trophy winner.
2. No award not specified in the syllabus will be awarded.
3. An adjudicator may withhold an award if the level of performance is not according to the requirements.
4. All awards will be presented at a prize-winners concert.
1. Entry fees are specified at each section. EFT payments are preferred. Please use the invoice number as reference when making a payment. Schools/studios who prefer to make one combined payment are requested to use the name of the affiliated person as reference.
2. Cash deposits at a bank teller will attract a handling fee. To save bank charges please refer to "Information 2022" if you need to do a cash deposit.
3. Banking details (NEW):
Bank : FNB
Acc. name : Pretoria Eisteddfod
Branch code : 250655
Acc no : 6291 8699 656
4. Please note the closing dates. No entries will be accepted after the closing date.
5. No entry fees will be refunded.
1. Most trophies are floating trophies and must be returned annually by 28 February.
2. A trophy lost whilst in possession of a winner must be replaced at his/her own expense.
3. The winner is responsible for the engraving of the trophy.
AMENDMENT OF RULES
Notwithstanding any of the abovementioned rules, the Eisteddfod Committee reserves the right to amend any rule if so dictated by any situation that might arise. These amendments will be circulated by email to all affected parties.