Please also read the General Rules.
1. No microphone or backtracks are allowed in this section.
2. Only 5 participants per item per affiliation (boys and/or girls). Also applicable for grade 0.
3. In order to qualify for an award a participant must enter for the Prescribed song, SA Composition and one other solo item (no folk song). The rules of the above-mentioned categories are stipulated at each item. A candidate will not be considered for an award if he/she does not adhere to this rule.
4. Overall winner award: Highest average A+ minimum in the following:
Prescribed Song 25%; English Song 25%; Folk Song 25%: SA Composition 25%.
5. Originality and diversity in the Own choice sections will be taken into consideration.
6. A candidate may not present the same work in 2 consecutive years.
7. Original songs must be presented. NO medleys.
8. Songs from a Musical, Film or a Gospel Song is not permissible in the English Song category.
9. song may only be presented once as a solo item or as a duo/trio item. Songs from this section may not be used in any other section of the Pretoria Eisteddfod.
10. Only 1 verse of a song to be presented. A song with 16 bars or less can be repeated or a second verse may be sung with a maximum time limit of 2 min.
11. Accompaniment must be played as written as far as possible. For grade 0 to 5 the tune may be played. An introduction may be played if one is not provided. Accompaniment may not overpower the candidate’s performance.
12. The duration of times indicated are the maximum allowed. Candidates will be asked to leave the stage if they exceed the times.
13. Prescribed works may not be presented as Own Choice or even in a younger or older age group.
14. Costumes and props may only be used in the Film/Musical section.
15. Transposed works are permissible. The original composition must however be handed in.
16. All songs to be performed from memory.
17. The eldest age in the group will be definitive in all ensemble items.
18. Candidates may only enter once in a specific age group in the ensemble section.
19. Clashes with any other section of the Pretoria Eisteddfod must be reported as soon as possible to enable the convener to make changes if possible. Clashes with SPORT ACTIVITIES will not be taken into account.
20. Adjudicators work at their own pace. Accompanists must therefore allow for possible delays.
21. Participants who do not comply with the abovementioned rules will not be eligible for any award.