NB! BEFORE ENTERING PLEASE READ THE RULES BELOW CAREFULLY. PLEASE ENSURE THAT PARTICIPANTS AND THEIR PARENTSTAKE NOTE OF THESE RULES. COMPLIANCE WITH THE RULES ARE ESSENTIAL FOR THE SMOOTH RUNNING OF THE EISTEDDFOD.
1. NB. NO CHANGES WILL BE MADE AFTER THE PROGRAM HAS BEEN FINALISED.
2. NO late entries will be accepted.
3. WHEN USING HARD COPIES SEPARATE FORMS MUST BE COMPLETED FOR DIFFERENT SECTIONS.
4. It is essential that all information be supplied. An incomplete form will not be processed. The official form must be used.
5. Handwriting on forms must be legible (PRINT). Names and Surnames must be spelt correctly to ensure the correct spelling on the certificates.
6. IF YOU ARE MAKING USE OF OUR ONLINE FACILITY ALL THE DIFFERENT SECTIONS CAN BE ENTERED ON ONE FORM.
7. Age as on 1 January 2017.
8. Entry fees as stipulated at each section.
9. The closing date for entries is 5 March 2018 at 16:00. Finale date for payment of entries 16 March 2018.
10. The closing date for the Strings and Classical Guitar sections is 1 June 2018. Finale date for payment of these entries 15 June 2018.
11. Entries may be posted, faxed, delivered by hand or completed online.
12. Entry forms and money must be sent to the program manager ONLY.
13. Entries are not transferable. Any candidate transgressing this rule will NOT receive a report or a certificate.
14. NB. Candidates are not allowed to move from one item to the other after the program has been finalised. Such candidates will not receive a report or a certificate.
15. Only learners from a specific establishment may enter under the affiliation of that establishment.
16. Candidates from studios must be entered by their studio or school – not both.
17. All the names of participants in ensemble groups (as determined at each section) must be provided. If names are not provided only 1 certificate will be issued for the group. Please supply a name for the group.
18. If you have difficulty in finding the prescribed work, please contact the convenor.
1. The exact dates and times of participation should reach you at least 10 days prior to the start of the section. It is your responsibility to enquire from the office should you not have received information by that date.
2. The Eisteddfod starts on 2 May 2018. Be prepared to participate at any time from the start of the Eisteddfod.
3. A candidate and accompanist must be available at least 15 minutes before the time of participation.
4. Candidates and/or accompanists who are more than 5 minutes late forfeit the right to perform.
5. To be allowed to perform the participant slip must be handed to the secretary at the adjudicator’s table.
6. Time limits must be STRICTLY observed.
7. Withdrawals must be reported 48 hours before the scheduled time to the convenor.
8. Any participant at the Pretoria Eisteddfod could be invited to perform at the Prize Winners concerts.
1. Participation out of session will not be allowed.
A candidate who cannot perform at the allotted time is not eligible for an award in that specific item. This rule apply to all awards.
2. It is the candidate’s responsibility to ascertain his/her time of participation.
3. The adjudicator’s decision is final and no discussion or correspondence on the issue will be allowed.
4. Candidates/family members/ teachers are not allowed to communicate with the adjudicator IN ANY WAY before, during or directly after adjudication.
5. Problems must be discussed with the convenor before the start of a session. No problems will be discussed at the table.
6. An adjudicator’s report will be handed to the participant directly after the session.
7. Only a symbol is awarded.
Awards are as follows:
90% to 100% - Gold: A++
85% to 89% - Gold: A+
80% to 84% - Gold: A
75% to 79% - Silver: B+
70% to 74% - Silver: B
60% to 69% - Bronze: C
8. Certificates will be handed to the competitors as soon as possible after the session.
9. According to stipulation at each section (with regard to the number of group members) each receive a certificate. Additional certificates can be requested at a fee of R20 per certificate.
10. Certificates are printed according to the information on the entry form. It is therefore imperative that teachers verify all the relevant information. If a certificate must be reprinted because of a mistake on the entry form, R20 will be charged.
11. Payment must accompany the request for a new certificate.
12. Candidates must hand a copy of own choice pieces to the secretary for use by the adjudicator. This copy will be destroyed at the end of the Eisteddfod.
13. The use of photo copies is a contravention of the Copyright Act. A published copy must therefore be available at all times at the venue where the work is performed.
14. An adjudicator may withhold an award if the standard of work is inadequate.
1. Dress for performers is optional during adjudication. Preferably school uniform.
2. For the Prize Winners concert, dress is formal.
1. Preferably ELECTRONIC payments.
2. Cheques will be accepted and must be made payable to SAVMO Pretoria Eisteddfod.
3. NO CASH will be accepted.
4. Banking Details:
Bank: Standard Bank, Menlyn
A/c. name: SAVMO Pretoria Eisteddfod
A/c.no.: 012 186 104
Branch code: 01 2345
5. NB: Deposit slips to be faxed to 086 632 7728 or mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
6. Entries will only be processed once proof of payment is received.
7. Entry fees as stipulated at each section.
8. March entries: Closing date for payment 16 March 2018.
9. June entries: Closing date for payment 15 June 2018.
10. Entry fees will not be refunded.
11. Entry fees and entry forms can also be sent to:
Moreleta Park, 0044
1. The adjudicator’s decision as to awarding an award is final.
2. No award not specified in this syllabus will be awarded.
3. An adjudicator may withhold an award if the standard of work is inadequate.
4. All awards will be presented at the Prize Winners concert.
5. Awards will only be awarded according to merit.
1. Most trophies are floating trophies and must be returned at the closing date of new entries.
2. An administration fee of R15 will be charged for the late returning of a trophy.
3. A trophy lost whilst in possession of a winner must be replaced at his/her expense.
4. When receiving a trophy each winner will be asked to sign a receipt and to give his home address, telephone number/s and e-mail address.
5. The winner is responsible for the engraving of the trophy.
Please read the Special Rules and Regulations.
1. To be eligible for a bursary or trophy a competitor must enter the following:
Three prepared solo items - one of which must be a monologue
Two improvised solo items - one of which must be a solo acting exercise or solo mime
Two combined items (duo or trio) - one of which must be unprepared.
2. If a candidate enters for more than the required items for a bursary, the items with the highest marks will be taken into account.
3. If a candidate takes part out of section that piece will not be considered for any award.
4. Non-English section please note: Only 5 entries per item per school will be allowed. Only 8 entries per item per studio will be allowed.
5. GROUPS must consist of 5 or more competitors, failing which, the group will be disqualified (except for the Group Creative Poetry Writing and Presentation section).
6. Tables and chairs will be available. Teachers to supply their own rostrums and other props.
7. All sections are combined for boys and girls.
8. Competitors' dress for mime and acting exercises shall be:
Girls: black leotards and black tights.
Boys: black shirts & short trousers or a black T-shirt & black tracksuit pants.
9. Certificates are awarded according to symbols - see General Rules.
10. The eldest age in the group will be definitive in all ensemble-items.
11. All the names of participants in ensemble groups must be provided.
12. If participants in group items wish to receive individual certificates all the names as well as R15 per certificate must accompany the entry form.
13. Candidates must comply with all requirements.
14. A candidate may not present the same work in more than one category of the same section.
15. A candidate may not present the same work in 2 consecutive years.
16. In all the duo/trio sections candidates are only allowed to enter in EITHER the DUO section or the TRIO section but NOT in both.
17. Please ensure that language used, is appropriate for an Eisteddfod forum.